Thursday, May 7, 2009

Oma

Agatha Barkovsky, March 7, 1911 - May 7, 2009.
My Oma passed away today, at the ripe old age (literally) of 98. What a woman! I'm sure Oma never would have imagined that she'd live to such an age, especially growing up with such hardship and struggles. She was an amazingly hard worker her whole life - such an inspiration! Going to Oma's house was always a treat, for, among many reasons, there was always an abundant supply of baking. Breads, pies, cookies, buns, you name it. Her raisin bread, which has some German name I can barely pronounce, let alone spell, has always been one of my favorites. Which is weird, because I don't even really like raisins that much. Any meal was a veritable feast at Oma's house. There would be a roast chicken, mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, garden carrots, pickles (homemade, of course), jello salad, two kinds of bread, zwiebach (German double decker buns-mmmm), and a plate with several varieties of cookies for the meal. No one ever left Oma's hungry.

I have an abundance of warm memories from spending time with Oma over the years. From our occasional visits when I was young, to my more regular visits while living in Ontario, I am so grateful to have had such a wonderful Oma. She was always so full of love and generosity and even though her hearing deteriorated significantly as she got older, she still loved to have people around her. She was a talented knitter, and up until recently when her fingers and vision weren't quite what they used to be, she could be found sitting in her favorite chair knitting away. I treasure the stuffed elephant that she knitted for Connor for his first birthday and the stuffed doll she made for me.

Oma was so old for so long, that there seemed to come a point when it felt she'd be with us forever! She had several health crises over the last years, including a fall down a steep flight of stairs, pneumonia and a burst vein in her leg, all of which were scary at the time, but she managed to pull through. She seemed to be able to withstand anything, when really, she was probably so ready to get to Heaven to see Opa (who passed away in 2000). I hope they're having a wonderful reunion. And I hope my Mom gets to join in on this reunion. Still, those of us left behind will miss Oma and her comforting, loving presence in our lives. I kept wishing today for one more chance to see her, just one more chance to hug her and let my kids get to know her. But I feel so blessed for the opportunities we had to see her once we moved back to Ontario. My kids will certainly remember her. I have some great photos taken over the last couple of months. In one she is blowing out the candles on her cake for her 98th birthday, and in another she is playing Uno with Taya. What a blessing that her mind was strong enough to enjoy playing games with her great-grandkids!

Rest peacefully, Oma. You deserve it after working so hard for so long. You will always be missed and always be loved.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh Teresa, I didn't know! After all the stories I've heard and pictures I've seen, I feel like I know your Oma! So sad that now she's gone (although physically probably for the better) and so nice that you guys got to spend so much time with her.