Tuesday, June 2, 2009

In the Backyard

For my birthday, I received a fantastic lounging chair for the backyard from Stefan. I have visions of dozing in the sun while the kids play happily (and quietly) around me, and occasionally replenish my cold drink. Ha! It's one of those chairs that you actually don't have to adjust - you just lean back and the chair leans with you. Very nice. I've put it right close to the pond so when I close my eyes I hear the gentle sounds of the little waterfall and the occasional splash of a frog leaping into the water. I actually managed to relax in the chair a bit this afternoon, and it was all very blissful. Until I opened my eyes, that is. Because as soon as I open my eyes, they dart around, trying to see if I can see any slithering creatures. Even if I don't see one right away, I keep looking, because I KNOW they are there, lurking, waiting. It was only a matter of seconds before I spotted it this time, less than 10 feet away. Not 100 feet, but TEN! Wretched thing. Well, my relaxed state of bliss immediately evaporates as I must now keep my eyes on this thing, lest it should come any closer. I can barely stand to watch it, but watch it I must. I finally grab a stick, which makes me feel a whole lot braver, and I prod it a bit. At least it's afraid of me, although it has no idea just how afraid of it I am. That's our little secret, ok? Anyway, it sneaks away through the rose bushes, past all the thorns, and I have no idea how it's not being injured by the prickly barbs. I feel a little better when I can no longer see it, but then I realize, I can no longer see it!!! It could be anywhere. It's the whole "damned if you do and damned if you don't' scenario. If I see it my skin crawls and I can't relax. If I don't see it, I am constantly watching for it to reappear and I can't relax. I refuse to be a prisoner in my own house this summer! I will continue to feign bravery, and I will also feign delight when my little sweethearts are so thrilled to see (and touch - ewwwwww...shudder....) the malevolent creature.

And so our backyard adventures continue. We have more varieties of creatures than you can imagine, most of which bring us enjoyment or stay out of our way. I can say neither about the slithery creature. Recently some ducks landed on the rocks by the pond, which made for a neat photo op and they seemed to enjoy having a refreshing drink. I think I need to invest in a bird book, because we've seen so many that I don't recognize, other than ducks and robins. I should know these things.

Regarding our fish. Stefan bought 6 more a little while back, to add to the 3 we already had. Each one had a name and they seemed to be enjoying all the room in our pond. And then, suddenly, the fish don't make appearances anymore. There is absolutely no sign of them. And I remember the snake swimming in the pond and I am mad. But honestly, I just don't think it's big enough to eat all those fish. And that's when Stefan remembers seeing those adorable mallard ducks DIVING into the pond. A duck doesn't need to DIVE to get water, but it would need to dive if it wanted to go fishing, which, according to google, ducks will do. So, now I hate the ducks. But it also could have been raccoons or some other creature that prowls in the night that we never see. I can't go around hating all the animals, and so we resign ourselves to the fact that our pond is not meant for fish. I'm not really bothered about the wasted money so much, as it wasn't too large an amount. Mostly I am bothered that I brought these cute little fishies home with me to the safety of my pond, only to have them savagely eaten. I have betrayed their trust, and I have to deal with that. One day, we'll get an aquarium. Indoors.

And then wouldn't you know it. Taya runs into the house all breathless a couple days ago, after several weeks of not a single fishy sighting, yelling, "I saw Black Spots!" She has since claimed to have seen Black Spots a few times, but none of the adults have seen him yet. So who knows. There must be some very secret hideout for the fish in amongst the rocks if one (or maybe more) has managed to survive. I am happy if even one has survived. The guilt is, at least partially, alleviated.

The supper in the oven is beckoning me, as we need to head to soccer shortly. The kids are having chicken fingers and veggies, and Stefan and I will be having a salad topped with leftover filet mignon and mangoes. Yummy.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I think I need to get one of those chairs too - I eye them all the time in fliers and in the stores - sounds nice!
Teresa you are a brave brave woman! Someday we will come visit you and see your backyard because it sounds so exciting!

Coco said...

Okay. okay. OKAY!!!!! You are telling me you canNOT even relax in the backyard now. Really. These vipers must DIE!!!! There must be a trap, a tempting haven that those worms just can't resist. My sweet friend, your chair by the pond and the trickling sound of water sounds delightful, but the slithering beasts are interrupting your tranquility. Send your brave man out there to fight for you...and your SANITY!!! For the love, those serpents must depart. You are far braver than I, because I know that I could not relax in snake territory--not even one little bit. Maybe next time you should have a pitch fork beside you...

Coco said...

...oh, and a big HOORAY for the lone survivor Black Spots!!! :)